Saturday, April 2, 2011

Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm

It has SPF 25, smells good (I have the lemon chamomile and I swear it smells like Skittles...or lemon cookies), lasts a few hours, keeps my lips soft, and isn't sticky.  This would all add up to win, except: I seem to be allergic to it.  Damn.

I noticed earlier this week that my lips had developed a weird bumpy rash in a thin line on both the top and bottom lip.  Gross, I know, but it had to be said.  Anyway, I wasn't sure if it was because I had been wearing the balm, or because I had gone out on a particularly cold and windy night (= wind burnt lips?) without any balm at all.  This morning, though, I didn't notice anything like that - until a few hours after I had applied balm.  So, I'm gonna go with: allergy.  Boo!

Active ingredients: Octinoxate 75%, Avobenzone 3.0%
Other ingredients: Butyrospermum Parkii (shea butter) fruit, Persea Gratissima (avocado) oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Pil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Anthemis Nobilis (Chamomile) Flower Oil, Camelia Sinesis (Green Tea) Leaf extract, Tocopherol (vitamin E).

The ingredients look fairly harmless, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but I have had a reaction like this to lip products in the past, so I'll have to track it down.  It is worth noting that I sometimes feel like products with shea butter feel uncomfortable on the lips (not quite itchy, per se, but kind of warm, in a weird, unnatural way) so perhaps that is the culprit.  I'll have to do more research, but I'm a little wary of just haphazardly putting this on my lips.  I'm not positive on the shea butter thing anyway, because I have lotions that contain it which don't cause any problems (like the Shikai, though it's definitely not the first listed ingredient in that case).

Anyway, if you don't have issues with most products, I'd give this a try.  I liked it (other than the whole allergy issue), so it is rather unfortunate that I'll have to return it.  Purchased at Sephora.  $7.50 for 0.25 oz (and some drugstore brands are about that expensive, so I don't find this an issue).  There's also a mint version, for those who don't like sweet scents on their lip products.

4 comments:

VijiiS said...

I've wanted to try this, because I've heard good things, but I have soooo many lip balms that I need to use up first!

Have you tried rubbing the lip balm on the inside of your wrist and just keeping it there? You may not react, and if you don't then that means it's only your lips sensitive to the mystery irritant (the skin of the lips is thinner than the skin elsewhere) and you shouldn't rule shea butter out as your potential allergen.

However, I'm wondering if it may be the Octinoxate? If you're reacting to lip products with SPF, that's probably the case.

These are, of course, my non-medical opinions, so they should be taken with a grain of salt.

Larie said...

Thanks, my dear. I haven't reacted to other products with SPF, so I don't think that's it. The other one I'm thinking of is the Korres lip butter (in the pots) that are primarily shea butter...my lips don't break out in the same rash (at least not the same severity) but they feel weird and uncomfortable like I described. I think you could be right that it's only my lips that are sensitive. I just returned it last night, though, so I'll have to test with something else, haha.

Soy said...

Hi, I have the same problem with this jack black lip balm. I also had problemS with burts bee Beeswax lip balm and the body shops vitamin E lip balm. Never had problem with lip balm before, until I started using the burts bee lip balm, and I didn't even know it was a lip allergy when it first happened ....
Right now I am thinking the allergy might caused by the vitamin e ( tocopherol) In the lip balms. But then I took a look at most of my daily skin care/ makeup products' ingredients , and a lot of them contain Tocopherol or it's derivatives, and use them on the skin but don't too much allergic reaction on the face( except the lips). Now I am left and wonder aM I really allergy to vitamin e or something else in these lip balm , or I am only allergy to one of the isoform( same chemical formula but Slightly different in molecular structure) of toropherol....

Larie said...

@Soy - I've had the same problem with Burt's Bees lip balms. I keep meaning to take a good look at the ingredients, but so far that hasn't happened :P

Post a Comment