Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Gleek Out? Sephora by OPI: Mash-up


I'm not a Glee fan, so I had no interest in Glee-inspired products.  However, I was told that I had to buy the "Mash-up" color from the Sephora by OPI Glee collection.  So, I did.
It's very, very beautiful and shimmery and purply-green-gray, with tiny flecks of glitter.  But it's also not terribly unique, and actually The PolishAholic has a comparison with the also fairly recent "Not Like the Movies" from the Katy Perry collection (tsk tsk, OPI) so if you have that one, you can skip this - or if you can't find one, the other will substitute just fine.  It also brings Zoya Adina to mind, but that one seems lighter in swatches - and more purple.  However, I don't actually have Adina, so I can't tell you just how close it is.  Mash-up, though, is a silver-based green-purple duochrome.  And I really do like it, since I don't have anything close in my collection.  It's subtle, and it catches the light in different ways.  I am easily distracted.  It also applies well - smoothly and in thin coats.

(Incidentally, if you're going for a full-on, intense silver polish, Zoya's Trixie is the way to go - it is a beautiful mercury color, and definitely one of my favorite nail polishes.  Of all time.)

And in the spirit of things, I did my own mash-up; that is, I took five polishes and layered them with Mash-up.  I was trying to see if I could get the purple-green shades to come out more - or at least, what it would look like over greens and purples and silver, etc.  These are the five I used:
Here they are swatched on an extra nail plate I had (from Zoya); this is two coats each:
And then two coats of each color + one coat of Mash-up on top:
Mash-up over Trixie looks a lot like Mash-up on its own, though it's slightly more opaque.  Over Freja, it runs darker (given that Freja is a gunmetal color), and it gives a pearly finish to the jelly Casey.  It gives Gemma more of a pearl finish, and is actually kind of how I wish Gemma would look on its own; I think it's gorgeous over the Sinful Fiji shade.

Hopefully this gives you some idea of what Mash-up looks like over different colors.  This is also part of my no-buy initiative; I can mix and match my own colors and finishes!
Here's how I decided to wear it - with a coat of Cover Girl's Boundless Color in Disco Dazzle (a clear polish with glitter chunks).  I felt like being girly.