Monday, March 7, 2011

Guerlain Lingerie de Peau

What a sexy name.  Lingerie de Peau.  I miss my college French classes.  And France.  Those are thoughts for another time.

Still, though, it does show you what kind of effect marketing has on people.  I mean, think: Lingerie de Peau.  Don't you just want it to be lovely?

And you know, it is.  Look at the bottle:

Beautiful.  Heavy, solid, sleek and lovely.  Product is distributed via a very easy-to-control pump, so you don't have to dip fingers or brushes into anything, and it's easy to pump out just the amount you want, no more.
Besides the practicality of the bottle, just look at it.  I'm not really a packaging fiend - by which I mean, I won't buy something just for the shape of the bottle/color of the box etc, but I still appreciate luxurious packaging.  And I'm constantly left in awe by the elegance of Guerlain's bottles, compacts, lipstick tubes, paper boxes...yeah.  You get the idea.

I purchased my bottle (in 02 Beige Clair, the lightest shade, which turned out to be perfect for me) online from Sephora; it's $56 for 1 oz.  Pricey, yes, but worth it.  Why?  Consider:

What I want from a foundation:
  • light-medium coverage (leaning toward light) that blends well into my skin
  • a faintly dewy or a matte finish
  • long wear (as in, a full work day)
  • a "barely there,"  weightless feeling once it's applied
So does this product meet those needs?  This is what I noticed.

Guerlain's Lingerie de Peau:
  • light-medium coverage (starts off light, but it's buildable without getting heavy or cakey)
  • natural, matte finish, but with a nice glow
  • wears all day; no greasy buildup, no color change.
  • feels smooth and natural, not heavy.  Blends well upon application.
  • a little goes a long way
  • has a faint violet scent, but it's not offensive or lingering; I only notice it upon initial application
  • pump is easy to control, packaging is sleek and elegant and sturdy
I have combination skin that gets dry in the cheeks and mouth area during the cold winter months, and I noticed that if I didn't use a heavy moisturizer (I've been testing out Perricone) to smooth out the chapped skin around my lips, the foundation settled a little into the dry areas there.  So, if you have dry, patchy skin, this may not be the way to go.  I do wish that the formula were a little thinner; its consistency is a little thicker than most tinted moisturizers (and thicker than Chanel's Teint Innocence, which is now discontinued and which I loved) but thinner than most other liquid foundations (e.g. most Clinique formulas I've tried, Lancome's Teint Miracle, YSL's Teint Radiance).  It isn't really a problem, since it blends out well and isn't cakey or heavy, but I feel like a slightly looser consistency would eliminate any possibility of going too heavy-handed with the coverage.  Otherwise, it looks and feels beautiful, and I think I'm done looking for a new liquid foundation.

I will do a more expansive, comparative foundation post later (I've been on the hunt for a new HG foundation for a while now) with a few mini-reviews (i.e. bullet-style pros/cons) on products I've sampled (YSL Teint Radiance, Lancome Teint Miracle, Bobbi Brown Natural Finish, Tarte Smooth Operator, and a few others).

2 comments:

Emily said...

This looks wonderful! Too bad it's so pricey...and probably not available anywhere near me, lol

Larie said...

Yeah, the Guerlain price points always make me cringe :(

Post a Comment