Monday, March 14, 2011

Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm: Honeysuckle

I don't think I've ever actually tried one of the regular Burt's Bees balms, so I don't really have anything to compare this to.  I'm just evaluating it on its own merits.

The texture is nice and the color I bought, Honeysuckle, is a barely-there neutral that ends up slightly matte.  I figured I'd do this pro/con style, because I'm still experimenting with formats.

Pros:
  • the "tinted" part is true - it does have a slightly matte, noticeable tint on your lips, though if you look at the swatch, it doesn't seem very strong (it also applies more sheer on my hand than on my lips)
  • texture is smooth and lightweight; feels nice going on
Cons:
  • no SPF
  • color settles into the lines on my lips; it might go on more smoothly if your lips aren't dry, but I feel this sort of defeats the point.  If your lips aren't dry, you're not really in need of a good balm, and if you have to apply a balm before this one to get the color to go on smoothly - ?  You see?

Bottom line: I don't think I'll repurchase.  The mellow shades are nice for those wary of strong lip colors (like me), but I don't see the point in having a tinted balm that I need to prep my lips for.  But if you have smooth lips with dryness problems, and are just looking for a light color for your lips, this might be a good option.

Paraben-free.  $6.99 at drugstores.

2 comments:

GretchTM said...

I've never tried Burt's Bees, but I love my Carmex. It's awesome for winter time.

Larie said...

I actually don't think I've ever tried Carmex. I have heard good things about it, though.

Post a Comment