Wednesday, February 9, 2011

ShiKai Borage Dry Skin Therapy

My skin is not usually particularly dry, but during the winter months, my hands freak out.  I guess it's because I'm constantly washing my hands, and I do the dishes.  Also, covering my hands in chalk for climbing prolly doesn't help.  However, my palms are usually okay - it's just the backs of my hands that get really irritated.  They dry out, and then they turn itchy and red and swollen and inflamed, with little rashy bumps.  It's not pretty, and it's itchy and it's sore.

I have a prescription strength cortizone cream for them, but I also need to be constantly applying moisturizer throughout the day.  I was using Eucerin for a while, but it's so heavy and greasy and hard to rub into my skin really well; it definitely wasn't a favorite.  So I recently picked up the ShiKai Borage Dry Skin Therapy hand cream; it's advertised as a "professional strength" (for professionals who need to wash their hands repeatedly throughout the day, or are exposed to harsh and drying chemicals), "rich, non-greasy hand cream."

And it is!  A little goes a long way; a tiny dot the size of my pinky nail is more than enough to rub thoroughly into the back of one hand.  The cream is hydrating, and not greasy at all.  It has the feel of a facial moisturizer (light, hydrating, fluid) rather than the heavy, pasty texture of most hand creams.

It's fragrance-free and it keeps my hands from drying out.  Non-greasy, moisturizing happiness!  As a plus, there is a "no animal ingredients or testing" icon on the box.  I bought my 2.5 fl oz tube for $9.99 at the local drugstore.  A little pricey, but worth it - Lubriderm and some other popular brands contain parabens, so they are out for me.

Photo taken from www.shikai.com

Ingredients:
Aloe vera gel* (aloe barbadensis), safflower seed oil (carthamus tinctorius), glyceryl stearate (vegetable emmulsifier), glycerin, jojoba seed oil (simmondsia chinensis), borage seed oil (borago officinalis), cetyl alcohol (vegetable wax), vitamin E acetate (tocopherol acetate), dimethicone, shea butter (butyrospermum parkii fruit), sodium ascorbyl phosphate (vitamin C), L-ergothioneine (amino acid), ethylhexyl glcerin, phenoxyethanol.

*certified organic

I will be purchasing more when I run out...or maybe I will purchase another one just to keep in my bag.  Thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment